- 1 bone-in-lamb leg (2 - 2.5 kg)
- 14 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp each of dried oregano and rosemary
- 1/3 cup olive oil (can use ordinary oil also)
- 1 cup red wine (optional)
- grated lemon rind
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt or as required to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper (to make it spicy you can add another 1/2 tsp of red chilli powder)
- raw papaya paste(100gm) or tenderiser
Crush remaining 6 cloves of garlic and stir together with remaining 1 tbsp each of oregano and rosemary. Remove lamb from marinade and pierce in several places with the tip of a sharp knife. Rub garlic and herb mixture over lamb pressing into incisions. Coat with remaining oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.
Roast uncovered in 375 degree fahrenheit oven for about 1 hour and 45 minutes or until done. Cover loosely with foil and let rest for 10 minutes before carving. If you have a tandoor it can be cooked in it also for a much better taste.
Lemon mint sauce:
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup mince fresh mint leaves
- 1 tsp grated lemon rind
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
*One of my favourites to wash down with beer.